Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Leata's Adventure

I guess adventure would be one way to put it.  A week ago, I got my first call every from Leata's school. It was carpool time so I thought it was funny they would be calling when they knew we were right there. I answered quickly because I knew something must not be right. A very frantic receptionist had called to tell me that Leata just had a seizure at carpool. I was at home but A.J. was waiting in the carpool line. I called him on his cell phone. He rushed through and parked and ran to the office. They told me they had grabbed Kendall to be with her so I knew she was there. When A.J. got to the office, Leata wasn't actually there yet. Quickly he saw that she was on her way though. When Leata got there she was not really responsive but soon after, she started moaning. The administrator/head receptionist had Leata go into her office and lay on her couch for a few minutes. Her son has seizures so she knew what to do and also that Leata was ok. They hung out there for about 10 minutes and then A.J. and Kendall too Leata to the ER. When they got there, they rushed her back. She still wasn't really responding to anything but soon started talking a little. She had a fever that was 104. Likely it got higher and the seizure brought it down some. Remember the first day of school I posted about a little while back when her fever got over 106? Yeah, she's prone to high fevers. She's been sick with a sore throat twice since then making that 4 times in 2 months. This time it was strep throat. The time before they didn't test her for it but could tell it was some sort of tonsillitis and treated her for it with antibiotics. Every time she gets off of the antibiotics, her throat infection comes back in one form or another. So anyway, they gave her motrin and tylenol and antibiotics at the hospital and watched her for a couple of hours. Once she was perking back up and the fever got below 102, they sent her home. She was miserable the rest of the week but by the weekend she was feeling much better.
On Monday Leata went to the Ear, Nose and Throat Doctor. This is the same doctor who did my sinus surgery and he is fantastic. I really trust and feel comfortable with him. After seeing that she has had multiple throat infections, with very high fevers and a febrile seizure there was really no question in his mind that she needed her tonsils out. Because she snores badly and has sleep apena and never seems fully rested even after between 10-12 hours of sleep, she is also having her adenoids out. They are coming out November 16. This way, she should only miss about 5 days of school instead of the 2 weeks she normally would because she will take her three day Thanksgiving break as part of her recovery time. She will have the surgery on the Wednesday the week before Thanksgiving so she will miss, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and then the following Monday and Tuesday. The hope is she will be able to go back the Monday after Thanksgiving if she is feeling well enough. We will just watch and see. We are just hoping this will help her avoid more strep and more illness and also help her sleep better once she has it done.

1 comment:

SarahJane said...

My goodness. Always a story from your house! Hope the surgery does the trick to keeping Leata healthy.