On Thursday, I had nasal and sinus surgery. I was pretty nervous about it but everything with the anesthesia and surgery went extremely well. I was supposed to have it Friday but they move me up the Thursday, and I was happy about that, less time to be nervous.
I was supposed to be at the hospital at 9am for some pre op stuff. They called Thursday morning to see if I could be there at 830 instead and that worked out fine. I got there and had to do some labs (I am not pregnant, haha) then was sent up to the surgical floor. I had my surgery in the new facility at the hospital and it was very nice. They had these cool hospital gowns that were disposable but had holes in them to hook up a temp control that kind of blew the gown up. It was something that I had never seen before.
I waited for a couple of hours before they actually started the surgery. The doctor came in and talked to me and laughed at how nervous I was. He did make me feel at ease though. The anesthesiologist came in and talked to me a lot as well. The only other time I have been under general, was not a great experience. I woke up while they were inside my eyes (I was 5 years old) and that was scary. I also had an irregular heart rate. The anesthesiologist said that was NOT going to happen this time. It didn't. I remember going into the OR and they talked to me for a few minutes while the machine was getting my blood pressure. I was out pretty quickly but before I was they told me they would put a tube down my throat after I was asleep but I was going to have to be awake for them to pull it out. That didn't sound like fun but it sounded better then being awake when they put it in. I can honestly say that I do not remember them pulling the tube out in the least. I must have been awake (because they had to make sure I didn't inhale any blood going down the back of my throat) but I don't remember.
The surgery went as well as was expected, if not better. The doctor said he was pleased with how straight he got my septum, he said my turbinates were hugs and it was a good thing he was able to make them so much smaller and her said my sinuses needed to be opened and cleaned a lot. One almost definitely, was causing a lot of my headaches, it was very inflamed. I had minimal bleeding during surgery and that was wonderful. It did take a long time for me to wake from the anesthesia and it took a while to get my pain under control. Once I was awake enough and was not in horrible pain, I was taken from recovery to post op.
They were hoping that I could go home within about an hour of being in post op. Unfortunately, I started bleeding a lot (red heads bleed worse, ask any doctor or nurse) once I was back in post op and I ended up having to stay several hours longer then expected. They took good care of me though and the doctor came back at the end of his work day to check on me. He ended up having to pack my nose, which is very uncomfortable. That slowed the bleeding long enough for me to finally be able to go home.
After I got home I started bleeding more and some of the packing came out. I almost ended up back at the doctor's office on Friday because of bleeding but I got it under control. I go back Monday morning to get everything cleaned out and checked.
I was really impressed by everyone who worked at the hospital. Everyone was so nice and helpful and friendly, the facility was wonderful, the only thing that was not great was the non stop bleeding from my nose.
Now let's hope that this helps with my chronic sinus infections and my headaches!
No comments:
Post a Comment