Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Mark is here!


I was induced Monday evening. They wanted Mark here as soon as possible to avoid infection and his lungs were looking decent and I had both steroid shots for them. All doctors involved (and there were many) decided that it would be safest to have Mark born now instead of waiting until we were showing signs of infection even if he was going to be bigger.

My doctor came to talk to me and told me that it was also what he thought was best but no one could make me do it if I didn't want to. I know that there were so many people praying for us and I felt very strongly that the doctors were guided to the decision that they made. I agree to go ahead with induction immediately despite how scared I was. I had my mom bring Leata and Taylor to come see me right before they started the induction. It was good to see them and it helped calm me down.

A little while after 7pm, they started the pitocin. I have had problems with epidurals in the past so that was not an option for me in my opinion. The nurse agreed and played interference when the anesthesiologist wanted to give me one. I never saw him, she kept him away.
The other thing that I had decided was that I was not going to take any sort of pain killers because they could suppress Marks lungs which were not completely mature. I decided I needed to do this birth as naturally as possible. Obviously, with pitocin it wasn't natural. Labor was intense and painful but I made it through with no pain relief! The doctor was amazed when he asked the nurse after I had Mark, when I got the pain meds. She said "She didn't" He said he couldn't believe how much conrol I had on pitocin with no epidural and no pain meds.
My labor lasted about 5 hours. When the head was delivered they told me not to push. The doctor had to get the drape and a second glove. Well, he wasn't fast enough and as he turned to come deliver Mark, Mark literally flew and the doctor caught him just in time. Now the doctor is calling him Rocky the flying squirrel. It was the strangest thing I have ever seen

Mark was born at 1143 pm Monday, April 20, 2009. He weighed 3 lbs 13 oz and was 17 inches long. He cried as soon as he was born and that sound was so amazing since everyone told me that he wouldn't cry. He did end up on a ventilator for about 4 hours but they think that is because he had blood clots in his throat and nose and possibly in his lungs. They were from me though. As soon as those were cleared he started to do much better.

Mark has been breathing on his own completely since he was 5 hours old. He is strong and they expect that he will need to stay just to eat and grow! They are amazed since he was 9 weeks early, that he is doing SO well.

I am so relieved that he is here and safe and strong. He's in good hands in the NICU. I am staying at the hospital another night because I lost a lot of blood giving birth. This is nice though because I can be close to my baby one more night. I will ry and keep everyone up to date on how he is doing but things are going to be very busy until he is home!

7 comments:

The Grandmother Here said...

Hooray for Mark!
Good work Sarah!!
He's BEAUTIFUL!!!

Maryanne said...

He is beautiful! What an absolute miracle he is. 31 weeks is sooooo early, but he seems to be doing really well. Good luck in the next little while. I hope he gets to come home soon!

Karen said...

The odds were definately stacked in your favor.

Heavenly Father had you both taken care of...Awesome :D

xxx

SarahJane said...

What a birth story! Congratulations.

brynn said...

You are amazing, Sarah! Good work. So happy things are going so well!

Sarah said...

Thanks, everyone! We feel so blessed that Mark is doing so well. It was an ordeal to get him here but we did the right thing by inducing and I feel I did the right things by going through the labor, though induced, without the epidural (that was for both of us) and without any pain killers, that was totally for Mark as I didn't want to suppress his poor little lungs.

Rebecca said...

Well done sarah, I get emotional every time I read a birth story. I am so happy you are well and that Mark is to. Congratulations to you all, you are all in our thoughts and prayers. Love beckyx